Getting Arizona Involved in Neighborhoods
G.A.I.N. (Getting Arizona Involved in Neighborhoods) is a statewide annual event designed to encourage Neighborhood Watch programs and bring together communities throughout Chandler for a common goal — to let criminals know that citizens of Chandler are seriously united in the fight against criminal activity. This is a time to turn on your porch lights, go out into your neighborhood and get to know your neighbors.
Each year the Mayor announces the winners for the Mayor’s Excellence Awards. The awards recognize neighborhoods for their dedication to creating community through events, increasing neighborhood involvement, and developing the next generation of leadership.
Mayor Kevin Hartke has long been a supporter of neighborhoods and the Neighborhood Excellence Awards is a way to recognize neighborhoods and their leaders for working to improve their community and inspire others to be more active and involved.
- The G.A.I.N. Kick-off/REGISTRATION event was held on September 16, 2023, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Thank you to the 31 neighborhoods who registered for this years G.A.I.N. event!
- The next Kick-off / Registration will be next year on September 21, 2024 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the community room at 250 E. Chicago St
- The upcoming G.A.I.N. event will be held on Saturday, October 14, 2023, from 3:00 to 9:00 p.m. (subject to change).
- You can host your event on a different date during the year but due to reduced staffing, we will limit the scheduling of police resources to events held on G.A.I.N. Day, October 14, 2023.
- Please email G.A.I.N.Event@chandleraz.gov to be added to the email list to stay informed throughout the year.
- For questions on Neighborhood Awards please contact Neighborhood Resources at 480-782-4363.
For more information please visit: https://chandleraz.gov/connect
If you have any questions relating to our G.A.I.N. event or would like to be included informational emails, please email the Chandler Police Crime Prevention Unit at G.A.I.N.Event@chandleraz.gov.
Why do we have G.A.I.N.?
G.A.I.N. allows the police department to come out to your parties, which allows us to strengthen our community partnerships by joining together for food, music fun, and games! Here are some of the main reasons we have G.A.I.N.
- Show support for the efforts of those involved in the fight against crime
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back
When is G.A.I.N.?
G.A.I.N. (Getting Arizona Involved in Neighborhoods) is an annual statewide day of celebration through community involvement that started in 1998 as an alternative to National Night Out. Chandler typically holds the event in the month of October.
When and where is the mandatory G.A.I.N. registration/Kickoff Event?
- In order to have officers attend your block/neighborhood party one person representing your party must attend the GAIN Kick-Off event
- The kickoff is located at the Chandler Police Department’s Main Station Click here for a map.
- The kick-off is scheduled for Saturday, September 16, 2023.
Why do we have to register for G.A.I.N?
During our registration, we will assign you a number and then conduct a drawing. Once your number is picked, you will have the opportunity to pick two police resources that you would like to stop by your party. Most of these resources are K-9s, McGruff the Crime Fighting Dog, the Mobile Command Center, Special Assignment Unit (SWAT) TK-4 vehicle, Robot Truck, Forensic Van’s, Range Truck, Negotiator Truck, DUI Truck, motors, bike officers, just to name a few.
Who can participate?
Most of the parties held are by established Neighborhood Watch groups, but ANYONE AND EVERYONE can participate— through your own neighborhood, HOA, or community-wide event.
Apartments, mobile home communities, businesses, and residential areas should all take an interest in knowing and protecting their neighborhood. One night a year to get together is not asking much and the benefits are invaluable.
Who plans the activities?
Neighborhood Watch captains, apartment managers, activity directors, community leaders, youth, anyone! All you need is the desire to contact your neighbors and get together!
Where do we start?
The first step in planning a G.A.I.N. event is to start early.
Plan an exciting event with your neighbors by forming a
small committee for planning. Solicit assistance from others
and exchange ideas. Planning is half the fun!
Who do we invite?
Please invite everyone on your block, in your community, your apartment community, etc. Keep it a manageable number; don’t exclude anyone.
What size can the party be?
Some neighborhoods just like getting together among themselves, while others plan a much larger function, including festivals and carnivals. It all depends on what you and your neighbors want to make it. You can make it as small or as large as you want it; keep it manageable for you.
What are the hours of G.A.I.N.?
The hours of G.A.I.N. are 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Your party should be at least 2 hours in length and fall within this time.
If you wish to order barricades for your block party, please call the City of Chandler Traffic Engineering Division at (480) 782-3346 and they will be able to assist you. After your event, if the barricades have not been picked up in a reasonable amount of time, please contact Traffic Engineering so they may come out and pick up items. Please do not call the police department with barricade issues. We will refer you to Traffic Engineering.
TAG YOUR PICTURES – Please!
If you are hosting or participating in a GAIN block party are encouraged to tag us in your photos using the hashtag #ChandlerGAIN throughout your social media accounts.