Citizen’s Police Academy
The Chandler Police Department’s Citizens Police Academy is a free program designed for Chandler’s citizens and business community members. It provides an inside look at their Police Department and law enforcement operations. The Citizens Police Academy is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the operations and resources of the Chandler Police Department. In addition, participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers, and civilian employees during the academy. The goal of the Citizens Police Academy is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
The Citizens Police Academy is NOT the police recruit academy.
Course curriculum may include:
- An overview of the PD
- Field Training (FTO)
- Sex Crimes
- Traffic Laws
- Tactical Operations – SWAT
- K-9 Unit
- Firearms Unit
- Police Communications – Dispatch
- Human Sex Trafficking
- Use of Force
- Vehicular Crimes (VCU)
- Volunteer Opportunities
Potential candidates for the Citizens Police Academy must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- Reside in or work in the City of Chandler
- Attend a school or be an applicant in the City of Chandler
- No prior felony arrests
- No misdemeanor arrests within five years of the application
- Each candidate will have a background check conducted by the police department
The Chandler Police Department reserves the right to deny applications and acceptance to any applicant.
- No more than two (2) absences
- One 5-hour ride-along with a Chandler Police Officer or
- One 4-hour shift observing in Dispatch
- Adhere to the informational goals established for the academy
- The Summer 2023 cohort is now in session and runs August 16, 2023 – November 8, 2023. Registration is now closed.
- The Spring 2024 cohort begins February 21, 2024 and runs through May 8, 2024. Registration will open December 21, 2023.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.