Citizen’s Police Academy
The Chandler Police Department’s Citizens Police Academy is a free program designed for Chandler’s citizens and business community members. It provides an inside look at their Police Department and law enforcement operations. The Citizens Police Academy is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the operations and resources of the Chandler Police Department. In addition, participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers, and civilian employees during the academy. The goal of the Citizens Police Academy is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
The Citizens Police Academy is NOT the police recruit academy.
Please visit the careers section or the City of Chandler Human Resources Division if you are interested in applying to be a police recruit.
Course curriculum may include:
- An overview of the PD
- Sex Crimes
- Traffic Laws
- Tactical Operations – SWAT
- K-9 Unit
- Firearms Unit
- Police Communications – Dispatch
- Human Sex Trafficking
- School Violence
- Volunteer Opportunities
Potential candidates for the Citizens Police Academy must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- Reside in or work in the City of Chandler
- Attend a school or be an applicant in the City of Chandler
- No prior felony arrests
- No misdemeanor arrests within five years of the application
- Each candidate will have a background check conducted by the police department
The Chandler Police Department reserves the right to deny applications and acceptance to any applicant.
- No more than two (2) absences
- One 5-hour ride-along with a Chandler Police Officer or
- One 4-hour shift observing in Dispatch
- Adhere to the informational goals established for the academy
WHEN ARE THE CLASSES OFFERED?
The Department offers two 13-week academies per year with 25-30 people in each Citizens Police Academy class.
- The Spring 2023 cohort is currently in session and registration is closed.
- The Summer 2023 cohort begins August 16, 2023, and runs through November 8, 2023. Registration will be available below starting June 16, 2023.
- Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
20-2028 Citizens Police Academy brochure
Location: All classes meet at the Chandler Police Department – 250 E Chicago St. This is subject to change.
Days: Wednesday nights
Times: 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Please get in touch with Crime Prevention Specialist Blanca Quezada at (480) 782-4960 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.