Citizen’s Police Academy
The Chandler Police Department’s Citizens Police Academy is a free program designed for citizens of Chandler and members of the business community that provides an inside look at their Police Department and law enforcement operations. The Citizens Police Academy is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the operations and resources of the Chandler Police Department. Participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers and civilian employees during the academy. The goal of the Citizens Police Academy is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
- The next academy is planned for August 17 – November 9, 2022. Registration is now full. Please email email@example.com for availability or call 480-782-4960.
- Only the first 30 registrations will be reviewed. Confirmation emails will be sent two weeks prior the start of class.
The Citizens Police Academy is NOT the police recruit academy.
Course curriculum may include:
- An overview of the PD
- Sex Crimes
- Traffic Laws
- Tactical Operations – SWAT
- K-9 Unit
- Firearms Unit
- Police Communications – Dispatch
- Human Sex Trafficking
- School Violence
- Volunteer Opportunities
Potential candidates for the Citizens Police Academy must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- Reside in or work in the City of Chandler
- Attend a school or be an applicant in the City of Chandler
- No prior felony arrests
- No misdemeanor arrests within five years of the application
- Each candidate will have a background check conducted by the police department
The Chandler Police Department reserves the right to deny applications and acceptance to any applicant.
- No more than two (2) absences
- One 5 hour ride-along with a Chandler Police Officer or
- One 4 hour shift observing in Dispatch
- Adhere to the informational goals established for the academy
- The summer cohort begins August 17, 2022 and runs through November 9, 2022. Class is full.
- Registration is now closed.
- The next session will be in the Spring and is scheduled to start February 15, 2023. Please check back in January 2023 for registration.
- Only the first 30 registrations will be reviewed.