Introduction by the Chief of Police
I am pleased to present our 2018 Annual Report.
Last year, the men and women of the Chandler Police Department continued to carry out our mission of ensuring Chandler remains one of the safest cities in America. We realize there are many variables that contribute to Chandler’s safe-city status, such as our dedicated and very talented employees as well as strong support from our Mayor and Council. We also realize that, in order for us to continue to accomplish our mission, we must have the confidence, support, and trust of the people who visit, live, and work in our city. So last year, we continued our emphasis on community engagement to help strengthen trust and respect in order to provide effective police services.
We also achieved a number of significant accomplishments.
- Last year, we helped drive down overall Part 1 crime by 6.5 % from the prior year, making 2018, one of the safest years.
- In fact, we were recognized as the 12th safest city in the United States by Wallet Hub.
- We promoted 10 leaders throughout the department. Leaders who will help shape our culture and ensure we meet the challenges of 21st century policing.
- The Department implemented an open data policy to enhance transparency and to improve efficiency by providing statistical information on line.
- We streamlined our Predictive policing and Compstat process leveraging accurate and timely data to help us police smarter and more effectively.
- We enhanced our online reporting module on our website so citizens can enter information and obtain a police report over the internet.
- We provided Rescue Task Force training for all sworn Police and Fire personnel to ensure an effective and collaborative public safety response to active shooter incidents.
- We provided deescalation and behavioral health training to help officers safely and effectively deal with people in crisis.
- We expanded our social media presence and interaction with the community through Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
- Our cadet program hosted their 20th Annual Tactical Competition with nearly 1,000 participants from across the country in attendance.
- We opened our new family advocacy center which enables us to provide enhanced services to victims of serious crimes in a safe and neutral environment.
- Our forensic laboratory personnel successfully complied with over 400 standards during their surveillance assessment allowing them to continue their national accreditation though 2019.
- We opened phase one of our new Public Safety Training Facility which will help us meet the challenges of 21st century policing by providing quality and effective training.
- We continued our transition to black and white patrol vehicles.
- The department was awarded the prestigious IACP Leadership in Crime Prevention Award for our Guardian Academy program which provides information and resources to those responsible for keeping our kids safe.
- This year, the Department hosted two Citizen’s Academies, three Youth Academies, and four Wilderness Experience trips
- We introduced the Dog walker Watch crime awareness program that encourages dog walkers throughout our community to assist as “extra eyes and ears”.
- We continued to strengthen our collaboration with our federal and regional law enforcement partners leveraging resources, training, and expertise to further help keep Chandler safe.
- We implemented text- to 911 messaging which provides the public an alternate method of contacting the Police department during an emergency.
- Our Police citizen academy graduate alumni association participated in dozens of events throughout the year to increase public awareness and understanding of law enforcement in our community
- And last year, over one hundred volunteers and cadets dedicated thousands of hours to the Department and the Chandler community.
Developing and maintaining community partnerships is the cornerstone of our system of policing in here Chandler. So I want to thank all of you who worked alongside us this past year helping us safeguard our city.
I am very proud of our police department and what we accomplished last year, and I look forward to continued successes and achievements throughout 2019.
The Chandler Police Department is committed to being a world-class leader in law enforcement. We will pursue and engage the best trained, equipped, and committed professionals who demonstrate the highest standards of performance and best policing practices in partnership with the community.
About the Department
The Chandler Police Department employs 332 sworn officers and 171 civilians who serve a growing population of over 250,000 residents. There are eight police facilities to meet the needs of the community: the Chandler Police Department Main Station, the Desert Breeze Substation, the Chandler Heights Substation, the Property & Evidence Building, a SWAT facility, a Family Advocacy Center, the Public Safety Training Facility, and a large vehicle storage building.